WATERSKI & WAKEBOARD INSTRUCTORS
Organisation: Neilson Active Holidays
Term: September - November
What if we told you it’s possible to spend your entire summer driving the best boats in the business, riding daily, and spreading your passion for the sport? Well, you can! A summer season working with Neilson on the Waterski and Wakeboard team is the best job in the world!
Ideally, we’re looking for full season instructors (usually from April through to November). We’ll consider candidates with shorter dates of availability, but operationally those with a combination of the best dates and qualifications will always take preference.
Picture yourself on an idyllic sandy beach in the hot Greek sun or at the foot of the mountains in one of Croatia’s most significant national parks; this would be your office! A season with Neilson allows you to work in unique locations overseas while dedicating your days to shredding on glassy water (no wetsuits required!)
As a member of Neilson’s ski team, you are the rock stars of the resort. Your role is to look after guests of all abilities out on the water, ranging from complete beginners to seasoned pros. Whether you’re putting their skis on for the first time ever or teaching them their next invert on a wakeboard, every day brings a new reward.
A day in the life on the Ski Team:
One of the first teams in the resort to get started, as the sun rises, you will be setting up the operation, bringing equipment down, warming up the boats for the day ahead and maybe “testing the water” yourselves before guests arrive!
Generally, the days are spent coaching or driving on the calm flat waters of the med, passing on your passion and knowledge to newbies and pros alike. Water-skiing, Wakeboarding, Mono-skiing, Wake-skating, Knee-boarding and even Wake Surfing (yes, Neilson offer wake surfing behind their fleet of GS20s!), we coach it all.
Although we work hard, we play even harder! Anytime gaps appear throughout the morning, you can be sure to find us making use of the gorgeous conditions, improving our own riding at every opportunity. An early start means an early finish. Usually, by mid-afternoon, the ski team have packed up and will polish off the working day with a cold beer in hand.
For the rest of the afternoon, whether it’s a game of social tennis followed by flying around on a windsurf, going on a road trip and exploring the hidden gems of the country, or simply getting wedged in at the bar before the daily staff vs Guest volleyball tournament, the time is yours. So what next?
If you’ve got the passion, we’ve got the opportunity! A ski boat driver qualification (SBD2) is the minimum requirement for a position on the team; however, the BWSW Level 1 and UKCC Level 2 coaching qualifications provide you with the perfect tools for the job.
Apart from the qualifications, an engagement with the current Wakeboard and Waterski world is a bonus as a day rarely goes by without a Matt Crowhurst or Shaun Murray YouTube wakeboard tutorial, or maybe Freddie Winter’s most recent slalom run being broadcast by the ski team at the bar.
In summary… Yes, spending the summer driving and coaching in breath-taking locations is an excellent aspect of the job, but what makes the summer extra special is working alongside like-minded, lifelong friends and making unforgettable memories together. Although your skill-set is essential, with Neilson Active Holidays, it’s also about personality. We’re always looking for friendly, energetic and approachable individuals to join our brilliant team.
People who can build rapport with ease and provide our guests with confidence in the fact that every element of their holiday is delivered by people who care. So what are you waiting for? Apply now for the best job in the world! You won’t regret it!
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To be well presented with a professional attitude at all times
- To maintain an excellent standard of customer service
- To deliver an excellent water ski/wakeboard programme that follows the BWSW syllabus
- To rotate within the team and to take responsibility for coaching, driving and spotting
- You’ll greet the guests on the pontoon, take bookings and to prepare people for their tow
- To ensure the highest standard of health and safety is adhered to and that guests are coached on the effective/safe use of all equipment
- To take personal responsibility for the maintenance, repair and security of all Neilson equipment
- To ensure that the appearance of the pontoon and waterski Centre always meets guest expectations
- The ability to work well, both independently and as part of the team
- To set up, pack up, and assist all guests using our equipment and facilities each day
- To assist the set-up of the beach/hotel at the start of the season and the pack down of the resort at the end of the season
- To assist in the organisation and hosting of social events, delivering briefings and always be happy to interact with guests at all times
- To be prepared to move between different resorts according to the operational needs of the business and to fulfil your contractual end date
- To be flexible in your job role and willing to assist in all other duties as requested by your manager
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- British Water Ski Federation (UKCC) Level 2 Instructor or equivalent
- British Water Ski Federation (BWSW) Ski Boat Driver Award (SBD2) or equivalent
- First Aid certificate that is valid for the duration of your contract – This should be a minimum 6-hour practical course providing a certificate that is valid in the workplace.
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent
- Experience of working in a waterski/wakeboard environment would be desirable
- The ability to confidently hold a conversation in English
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Ability to deliver fun, engaging, safe and informative Waterski and Wakeboard sessions
- Skilled ski boat driver – Please note: Permission to drive ski boats in Greece is subject to local legislation
- Knowledge of the BWSF syllabus
- Knowledge of the current waterski and wakeboard industry (desirable)
- Ability to effectively communicate with guests of all ages, management, and other staff
- Ability to work well within a team and maintain effective working relationships
- Able to work well using your own initiative and to follow both verbal and written instructions accurately
- Approachable, welcoming, friendly, and enthusiastic
- Clean and tidy appearance
To apply for this role, please use the following link: