International Certificate of Competence (ICC)

Who is it for?
The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is a certificate that offers proof of competence to operate pleasure craft in international waters and is issued to anyone who has passed the BWSW Ski Boat Driver Level 2 and the supplementary inland waters examination. Although it is only guaranteed in countries that have adopted the relevant UN Resolution, the ICC is generally accepted in any area where proof of competence is required.

BWSW is permitted to issue the ICC to British nationals and residents. You are a British national if you are one of the following:

  • A British citizen
  • A British Overseas Territories citizen
  • A British overseas citizen
  • A British national (overseas)
  • A British subject
  • A British protected person

BWSW is not permitted to issue the ICC to the nationals of other UNECE countries unless they are British residents. This means that BWSW cannot issue the ICC to the nationals of: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy,  Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

Nationals of these countries should speak to their national maritime authority as you will only be able to obtain an ICC through their acceptance of Resolution 40.

What is involved?
To obtain the International Certificate of Competence (ICC), candidates will need to pass the BWSW Ski Boat Driver Level 2 as well as a supplementary Inland Waters test. 

The SBD2 is a coastal qualification which gives access to the COASTAL ICC at any time after passing the SBD2, there is no need to complete any additional question paper.

If you wish to drive a boat on the INLAND waterways in mainland Europe, the coastal ICC will need to be endorsed for Inland waters by taking the CEVNI test, which is the additional paper.

Related documents

  1. ICC Renewal Form

    20 Feb 2013 / 39kb

    ICC Renewal Application Form